I am a
I write articles, content and copy – mostly on food and hospitality topics, but l like writing about other things too.
I’m currently moving my career towards features and reporting by pitching journalistic pieces, studying for the NCTJ diploma and being a founding member of the empoWORD Journalism project.
I’ve blogged about plant-based & gluten-free food since like, 2016, and still post the occasional recipe or food guide on the blog when I can.
I also work part-time in-house on digital and content marketing for a fast-growing SaaS product.
Actually about me: I’m into vegan food and feminism and books. I’m a (very slow) runner. I love exploring new cities, but I also love to be at home. I’m from Yorkshire. I’m married to a street-food guy.
- Website & CMS: I love tinkering round with websites, and I’ve built and maintained a number of theme-based sites in WordPress. I also have some knowledge of Shopify and Drupal, and of HTML & CSS.
- Photo & video: I’m confident in DSLR photography (I ran a food photography business for a while), and can also produce short videos. I’m familiar with Adobe Suite editing software (particularly Photoshop, Lightroom and Premier Rush)
- Social media: I’m active on a number of platforms including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and LinkedIn, and with tools like Buffer, Hootsuite, Tweetdeck Latr and Planoly.
- Graphics: I’m able to produce simple graphics (for social media or data illustration) using Adobe InDesign or Canva
- I’m a digital native and a bit of a tech geek, able to quickly learn and understand new platforms (as an example: I acted as ad-hoc tech support when Stream switched from MS Office to GSuite)
Content & digital marketer (2016-present), Stream and Proximity
In my day job, I work part-time in-house as part of a small marketing team for a SaaS business and and its parent company.
We work on content and digital, with a focus on SEO and conversion. I manage an editorial calendar and produce copy and content, including blogs, sales pages, video, email, PR materials, with responsibility for seven social media channels across the business.
Writer & content marketer (2017-present), Freelance
Through blogging, I’ve worked on a number of freelance projects. I focus on written content and copy, as well as features and reporting.
I’ve also been able to turn my hand to other digital and content projects: I’ve built websites, shot photography and managed social media accounts too.
Event Manager (2016), National Centre for Diversity, Leeds
In this role I had overall responsibility for diversity and inclusion training sessions. I also worked on organising the company’s annual awards dinner.
Event Coordinator (2014-2015), Bracken Events, Nottingham
This was an entry-level role in my field of study, and my first office job. I assisted in managing events at a small agency for a number of private- and public-sector clients.
GamesMaker (2012), London 2012 Ceremonies
I took a once-in-a-lifetime volunteer role, helping to coordinate general and VIP cast at Olympic Park during rehearsals and ceremonies (ask me about the time I met Muhammad Ali).
Various casual jobs (2004-2016, non-continuous), Leeds and York
If nothing else, I have a strong work ethic! I’ve held part- and full-time jobs at various times during and after my education. I’ve worked in childcare as well as in numerous retail, foodservice, hospitality and catering roles. I’ve worked everywhere from independent cafes, bars & shops to football stadiums, breweries, 4-star hotels and a national supermarket chain.
- Currently studying for the NCTJ Diploma (via distance learning)
- 1st Class BA (hons) Event Management (2014), Leeds Metropolitan University
- Three A-Levels (B, B and C) in English Language, Media Studies and Sociology (2009), Notre Dame VI Form College
- Eight GCSEs at grade C and above, including English and Maths (2007), Prince Henry’s Grammar School