Pumpkin spiced everything.
What’s not to love about October?
Autumn is my favourite season: the too-hot, unstructured days of summer are over and autumn breathes new beginnings & cosy evenings.
Blackberrying is basically a national pastime when
Also in high season? Pumpkin, and other squash. I love adding perfectly roasted squash to grain bowls at this time of year – it feels healthy but it’s
And did I mention Halloween?
It might be right at the end of the month, but it feels like October is basically a big, spooky build-up to the day. Pumpkin carving, sourcing costumes (and bargaining with my husband about whether we’ll be wearing a cute couples costume), skulls on everything – October & Halloween just bring out my inner teenage goth aspirations, I guess.
What’s in Season in October?
- Brussels sprouts
- Butternut Squash
- Runner Beans
- Spring Onion
- Sweet potato
- Cavolo Nero
- Lamb’s Lettuce
- Pak Choi
- Swiss Chard
Also in season in October
- Brazil Nuts
What to cook in October
- Simple tofu scramble [tomato]
- Orange, tomato & sunflower seed salad [tomato, kale]
- Black bean, broccoli & sweet potato bowl [sweet potato, broccoli]
- Orange & almond salad [almonds, kale]
- Best-ever gluten-free pancakes [banana]
- Beetroot & fennel hummous [beetroot, fennel]
- Lime & roasted aubergine curry [aubergine]
- Gluten-free granola [almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts]
- Easy broccoli salad [broccoli]
- Squash & kale curry [butternut squash, kale]
- Purple cabbage stir-fry [cabbage, chestnuts]
- Overnight oats [apples, almonds]
- Hedgerow jam [apples, blackberries]