Sometimes, I just need something fresh.
After all the indulgence of holidays, these simple, green, filling bowls were absolute bliss last week.
Veggies. Grains. Flavour. Perfection in a bowl.
Now, I made two bowls from this recipe, but I was hungry as hell when I made it.
This could easily serve three, or even four as a light lunch. Consider yourself warned, These are hungry piglet portions of hearty food – I don't do tiny slimline bowls.
These black bean, broccoli and sweet potato bowls make a healthy and filling lunch or dinner when made up fresh and hot, but they work just as well as a packed lunch. Cook the sweet potato and the quinoa/black bean mix, prep the veggies to steam in the microwave and you've got a tasty midday meal on-the-go.
These bowls are also packed with vegan protein, thanks to the quinoa, beans, edamame and broccoli. Imma throw this recipe on the table the next time some dumdum hears the word 'vegan' and suddenly becomes a nutritionist ("BuT WhErE dO yOu GeT yOuR pRoTeIn??").
Black Bean + Sweet Potato Bowl
For the Black Beans and Quinoa:
- 1 400g tin Black Beans
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 tsp. Olive Oil
- 1 cup Quinoa (I chose a mix of red, white and black, but whatever you have available should work)
For the Spiced Sweet Potatoes:
- 3 large Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Red Onions
- 2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp. Ground Coriander
- 2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
For the Steamed Greens:
- 1 head Broccoli
- 2 cups Edamame Beans (frozen)
- 6 Spring Onions
- Fresh Parsley
- Hot Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F approx.)
- Prepare and cook the sweet potatoes: Peel and roughly chop them. Add to a baking tray. Peel and chop the onions into large chunks and add those to the tray too. Sprinkle with the spices and olive oil, mix, and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, mixing again halfway through.
- Once the sweet potatoes are roasting nicely, you can start on the quinoa. Take another saucepan and heat up the olive oil. finely chop the garlic and chilli, and cook them in the pan for a few minutes. Rinse the quinoa, then add to the pan with three cups of cold water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes
- Rinse and drain the black bean and add them to the quinoa. Simmer for ten minutes more, or until all the water has cooked off. (you may need to add a little water, but be careful not to add too much as we’re not draining the quinoa).
- For the greens, if you’re serving a group just chop the broccoli into florets, Measure out the edamame beans and slice the spring onions, then steam for 10 minutes (I usually steam them in a colander over a pan of simmering water).
- If you’re preparing your bowls for meals later in the week, I’d recommend chopping the greens, portioning them into 4 containers, and steaming them in the microwave when you’re ready to eat (just add a tablespoon of water to a Tupperware box or a bowl of veg, put the lid on, or cover with clingfilm, and microwave on high for a minute.
- Take the Sweet potatoes out of the oven and assemble your bowls with the black bean/quinoa mix, roasted sweet potatoes and steamed greens.
- Sprinkle with a little fresh parsley and hot sauce, to serve.